Eight reasons why you'll want to read ALL-AMERICAN GIRL:
8. It's written by Meg Cabot, the wonderfully funny author of the Princess Diaries books. Her humor is charming and painfully realistic.
7. Samantha Madison is probably a lot like you. She has sisters that annoy her, a crush on her older sister's boyfriend, and a loyal best friend. She loves No Doubt and drawing, and she's sometimes insecure. And she only eats hamburgers.
6. It's proof that you should be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it, and you might not necessarily want it. Like sudden popularity. Or the chance to judge an art contest. Or the chance to appear on national television.
5. Don't believe that one person can change the world? Think again. When Samantha saves the president of the United States from being assassinated, she becomes an overnight celebrity. That, of course, was not what she had planned to do when she skipped her art class one afternoon and went to the record store to listen to music.
4. Having a crush is never easy. When you have one on the son of the president, life gets even more difficult. Especially when he's smart, cute and artistic, and every time you're standing near him, you feel like you're about to say something stupid.
3. Samantha will inspire any reader to stand up for what she believes.
2. Art teachers and big sisters are a lot wiser than most people are willing to admit.
1. Anyone can be a hero, and the real heroes are not always who we think they are.
Reviewed by Carlie Kraft on August 20, 2002
- Publication Date: August 20, 2002
- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: HarperTeen
- ISBN-10: 0060294698
- ISBN-13: 9780060294694